Sunday, February 20, 2011

Paint Chip Art

 I wanted something new to hang above my mantle, and a project that I saw a while ago came to mind. Use paint chips to make a collage. Since I own a paint store I have access to a secret stash of paint chips with no writing in the face of them. I saved all the past seasons of Pottery Barn colors (Benjamin Moore) because I just couldn't throw them out (must be the crafter in me!)
After trying several different layouts I decided on a paver pattern.

They are mounted on the foam core of a disassembled piece of art. I spray-glued the board then worked as quickly as I could to get them down before it dried. It got a little hairy at times! 

After they were attached I wiped a layer of stain over the whole thing. It gives them the look of stacked blocks of wood.


Here it is, framed and hung on the wall. I really like how it turned out...and it was FREE!! Now I need to work on a mantle scape for spring. I don't feel very spring-y today with the snow coming down, but I know it will be here eventually!

Have a great afternoon!!

10 comments:

  1. What a great project! Love how it turned out, some of my favorite colors in there too! You thawing out yet? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a terrific idea, Paula. I love how it turned out. Looks beautiful over your mantle with all the colors. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very creative! I love how it turned out!

    Angel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the sweet comments-I had fun making it. No snow yet-today-YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this idea and I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea and you did a terrific job on it!!! Just awesome. TFS
    hugs,jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this project! I'm glad I am not the only person who saves stuff with the intentions of a "someday" project!! My husband thinks I'm silly because I've keep every paint swatch we've ever grabbed! I'm going to use them!!! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have won the Liebster Blog Award
    go visit my blog site
    http://owlbeescrappin.blogspot.com/
    ~Angel

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like it! Congrats on the award! I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is fantastic!! What a wonderful idea. It turned out perfectly - and is even more perfect considering it was free!! GREAT job!

    ReplyDelete